In order to contribute more significantly for the development of the communities in which it does business, in 2005 Gerdau established the Gerdau Institute, responsible for Gerdau policies and guidelines of Social Responsibility. Over the past year, a total of US$ 61 million has been invested, with the voluntary participation of about 9,500 volunteer employees.
Gerdau believes that merely pouring in resources is not enough to transform realities. It wants to expand the scope of its social projects it supports by mobilizing employees, customers, suppliers, communities, the government and social institutions.
All of Gerdau social investments follow these guidelines:
- Gerdau social investment is aimed, preferably, at projects implemented in the communities neighboring the units.
- They do not cover social projects favoring individuals.
- We seek an integrated performance with other organizations, strengthening partnerships in the development of social projects, aimed at optimizing opportunities and resources.
- Each and every project can only be approved by being in accordance with the social focuses and guidelines defined for each Business Operation, and also by being in line with the approved budget for the period.
- In the Operations and respective Units, the Gerdau Institute operates through its own Committees, as well as in accordance with GBS documentation for the Gerdau Social Responsibility macroprocess.
- Education is the underlying base for individuals and a sustainable society, and is Gerdau’s principle social investment.
- As well as support for social projects, the transmission of Management technology is one of the main contributions that Gerdau can make.
- Our social investment priorities in the communities neighboring our Units aim at serving the needy social organizations, managed by suitable social entrepreneurs and with reasonable organization, which dedicate themselves to children and young people.
- Investments in supply chains and clients represent important sectors of social investment, adding value to the business and to the sustainable development of the community.
- We provide incentive and train our employees for volunteer work; recognizing their actions.
Total Investment (R$ million):